Getting ready to take your first Bikram Yoga class?
Welcome! We are so happy that you've decided to join us. We guarantee that a regular Bikram Yoga practice will change your life in the most wonderful ways.
You don’t need to sign up ahead of time, but if you would like to save a little time you can sign up online. You can pay for the class online as well, or when you get to the studio.
It is totally normal for you to be a little nervous before your first class. Not to worry - every one of the teachers at Bikram Yoga Scarsdale has been trained by Bikram Choudhury himself in a very intensive, nine-week training program. The teacher is going to stand in the front of the room and let you know what to do, step by step.
This class is specifically designed for beginners, so know that with a little practice and experience, you'll quickly feel right at home. Every class will have all levels of yoga practitioners in it – from newbies like yourself, to those who have been practicing for many years. The experienced yogis will inspire you, mentor you, and encourage you. Keep in mind – every one of them has been through exactly what you will be going through in your first class.
You do NOT need to be flexible to do Bikram Yoga. In fact, if you are inflexible, this Yoga is perfect for you. The room is heated specifically to help increase your flexibility.
Please arrive 20 minutes early for your first class. This gives us time for registration and orientation. Arriving early ensures a stress free and relaxed beginning to your life long Bikram Yoga practice. Your first time to the studio, you must arrive before the class starts in order to take the class.
Don't think you have to get in shape before coming to class. That puts the cart before the horse! Come take your first class, and then take class as often as you possibly can and you will quickly lose weight, get in shape, and feel absolutely wonderful.
Take your second class within 24 hours. The second class is the equivalent of 2 to 3 classes, and you will bypass much of the soreness you'd experience otherwise.
Make up your mind to take 10 classes as quickly as possible. Then no one has to tell you how good this yoga is for you. Your own personal experience will guide you.
Remember, everyone had their very first Bikram Yoga class, even the people on the front row who have been coming for years. They make it look easy because they persevered, and you can too.
So there you go…you're ready to begin…now pick a convenient time and come to class as quickly as you can. We look forward to meeting you soon!
Warning: This yoga may be habit forming and lead to a healthier, happier, more enjoyable life.
Your First Class
Your First Class
- Arrive 20 minutes early for your first class. This gives us time for registration and orientation. Arriving early ensures a stress free and relaxed beginning to your life long Bikram Yoga practice. Your first time to the studio, you must arrive before the class starts in order to take the class.
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day so that you're well hydrated before coming to class. Good hydration supports the health function of all of your body's systems, and it makes the heat feel comfortable rather than overwhelming.
- Try not to eat for two or three hours prior to the start of class. If you need to eat, have something light, like fruit. Or try drinking juice instead of eating.
- If you have a yoga mat, bring it, along with a large bath towel or yoga towel, and drinking water. We also have these items available at the studio. A mat and towel are included for your first visit, and available for rent thereafter.
- Dress in cool, comfortable clothes. Women – a sports bra or tank top and shorts will work great. Guys – the best way to start is to wear a bathing suit with a liner. Or, you can wear gym shorts and underwear underneath. A shirt is optional. Please try not to wear long sleeves or pants – they will just get in the way of your stretching.